Friday, May 19, 2017
TO: Academic Deans
FROM: Thomas C. Katsouleas, Executive Vice President and Provost
RE: 2017-2018 Faculty Salary Merit Increase
I write to outline the 2017-18 merit increase recommendation process.
Salary increases will be effective July 25, 2017 for 12-month faculty and August 25, 2017 for 9-month faculty.
All salary increases are subject to the availability of funding. As such, merit increase proposals should correspond to each unit's Budget and Salary Increase plans, as submitted and approved by the Provost. While the average salary merit increase for teaching and research faculty will be 3.0 percent, with an additional 0.75 percent average one-time bonus, each school’s increases may vary in accordance with its approved plan.
University Human Resources will distribute specific directions as to the appropriate reports to run to initiate the merit increase process. Additional details regarding the timeline of the increase process can be found below.
The following are guidelines related to salary increases for teaching and research faculty:
- Individual schools’ salary increase and bonus averages may vary per each schools’ Faculty Salary Increase Plan as submitted and approved.
- Salary increases should be awarded in accordance with the Policy on University Faculty Salaries and Bonuses. Per this policy, increase recommendations should take into consideration such factors as performance, market and equity.
- Increases are not awarded "across the board" or on a pre-determined merit-based scale.
- Increases should be awarded in accordance with the school's approved peer review plan and methodology for distributing increases.
- Increase recommendations greater than twice a school’s raise pool should be accompanied by a narrative justification and supporting documentation.
- All increases, including those for promotion and tenure, will be effective July 25, 2017 for 12 month faculty members and August 25, 2017 for non 12-month faculty.
- Schools will receive salary recommendation worksheets from UHR by May 24 and be expected to submit completed worksheets to the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost by July 10.
- Deans will be able to inform faculty as of August 3 of approved merit increases per the timeline provided below.
|By May 24||Schools will receive Excel worksheets from University Human Resources (UHR)|
|July 10||Schools submit completed worksheets to the Office of the EVP & Provost for review & approval|
|By August 4||Provost's Office reviews and approves the salary recommendations|
|After August 4||Salary increases may be shared with the faculty|
|By August 11||Schools & Units submit approved workbooks to UHR|
|August 28||12-month T&R faculty monthly payroll processed|
|September 1||12-month T&R Faculty check date|
|September 26||Non-12-month T&R faculty monthly payroll processed|
|September 29||Non 12-month T&R faculty check date|
If you have any questions regarding the implementation of the faculty merit increase, please contact Anda Webb, vice provost for administration and chief of staff, at 4-0999 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.