Return to Standard Grading
From: M. Elizabeth Magill, Executive Vice President & Provost
As we discussed in the spring 2021 semester, I am writing to confirm that effective for the fall 2021 semester, the University is returning to the standard grading option. Please review this memo and distribute as appropriate.
Several details about this decision are important:
- For all students (undergraduate, graduate, and professional), the default grading option in SIS for most classes will be Graded (A-F).
- Students can elect to take a course for Credit/No Credit (CR/NC), but CR/NC meets very few degree requirements.
- A decision to take a course for CR/NC is not the COVID CR/GC/NC option that was available in the 2020 -2021 academic year.
- Students considering CR/NC should consult their school's policies and talk with their advisor if they have any questions.
- Laura Hawthorne, associate vice provost and University Registrar, will communicate these and other enrollment reminders to all undergraduate and graduate students on August 23 and again on August 30. These are important messages, and we appreciate you and your colleagues helping us communicate them to your students as frequently as possible between now and the first two weeks of classes
As has been the case with all decisions about grading options during the pandemic, I remain grateful to our faculty, staff, and student who have provided valuable feedback, insight, and leadership on this important topic.