Faculty Members and Student Employment
During their time at the University, many students perform work for and alongside of faculty members. Student employment at UVA includes Student Wage Employment (available to both undergraduate and graduate students) and Graduate Student Assistantships.
- Student wage employees perform a variety of duties ranging from entry level service and administrative support responsibilities to work in support of academic programs.
- Graduate Student Assistantships include Graduate Teaching Assistantships (GTA) and Graduate Research Assistantships (GRA). For more information regarding Assistantships, see the policy, Graduate Assistantships.
All student employment at the University is subject to the Wage Authorization for the Academic Areas, which the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost issues each year. In addition to establishing compensation ranges for student employees, this document provides an overview of the regulations which govern student employment at UVA.
- General questions regarding the Wage Authorization may be directed to the Provost’s Office.
- UVA Human Resource’s Guide to Student Employment provides an overview of the student employment process and related policies and procedures.
- Student Financial Services has additional resources related to Federal Work-Study positions.
- Additional guidance around graduate student employment and related topics is available from the Office of Graduate & Postdoctoral Affairs.
- The International Studies Office can assist with matters regarding international student employment.