Short Term Disability Leave for Faculty

Since December 15, 2009, all employees enrolled in an optional retirement plan (ORP) are covered by a short-term disability plan administered by The Standard Insurance Company, a third party vendor contracted by the University.

For those employees who are enrolled in the Virginia Retirement System (VRS), their short term disability will continue to be managed through the Virginia Sickness and Disability Program. Please refer to UHR’s guidelines on VSDP benefits.

Questions regarding either of these plans should be directed to University Human Resources’ Service Center at 982-0123.

The following resources are availble to guide you through the process:

Frequently Asked Questions on Short Term Disability for Faculty on Optional Retirement Plans

(includes TIAA-Cref, Vanguard, and Fidelity)

Frequently Asked Questions About Filing a Short Term Disability Claim

The following questions and answers will help you file a claim by telephone with Standard Insurance Company should you become disabled. The steps outlined below will enable you to access claims services quickly and easily.