COAA - About
Reporting to the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs, the primary focus of the COAA is to ensure accessibility for all to the academic experience at UVA, in particular members of the University community with disabilities. This is accomplished through a variety of approaches, including:
- Identifying and adopting best practices for increasing academic accessibility throughout the University in both the physical and digital environments.
- Broadening inclusion by increasing the awareness and use of universal design concepts in course design and experiences.
- Collaborating with specific schools and departments on initiatives designed to increase awareness and implement practices related to academic accessibility.
- Coordinating Grounds-wide efforts to analyze current needs, identify opportunities for progress, and recommend priorities to University leadership.
- Engaging with peer institutions to explore solutions which provide a larger impact in removing barriers in the education environment.
The University's Statement on Accessibility
The University of Virginia values disability within the spectrum of human diversity and is committed to a living, learning, and work environment where individuals with disabilities can be their full selves and thrive. The University recognizes that ensuring equal access to educational, employment, and all other opportunities is a shared responsibility that demands our continuous identification and removal of physical, technological, and attitudinal barriers.”